Martha Kropf is doing a presentation on ballot design at the conference. Here are some key points to her presentation.
- HAVA did not consider ballot design seriously in the legislation.
- Reports on ballot design from EAC or the Brennan Center has not resulted in many changes in state laws to make ballot design better.
- We know that ballot design is quite important.
- She compares ballots across three states.
- She notes how terrible “complete the arrow” optical scan ballots are.
- Font sizes are important, especially as Americans age and more people have visual acuity problems.
- Ballot designs have not improved greatly since 2002.